Gate lodge of castle Ballindalloch

A gate-lodge and entrance arch are located about 800m south-east of Ballindalloch Castle, at the eastern end of the Bridge of Avon.

The lodge and arch were designed by the architect Thomas Mackenzie and built in 1850. The lodge is a narrow, three-storeyed building, with three small turrets projecting from the corners of the uppermost storey. A round stair tower rises the full height of the building at the fourth, south-west corner.

The entrance arch, to the east of the lodge bears the Macpherson coat of arms to the south, and a monogrammed panel to the north.

The lodge and arch display features typical of the Scots Baronial style, including crow-stepped gables, small turrets with conical roofs and a round stair-tower. This style became popular in the mid-nineteenth century.

You look at all houses
Gate lodge of castle Ballindalloch
Gate lodge of castle Ballindalloch

De Nederlandse vlag The Britisch flag
© Copyright Elisabeth 2004 - 2018 / Last update: Dec. 08 2018