Castle Vigny in France

In 1504, Cardinal Georges d'Amboise bought the seigneury of Vigny and ordered the construction of a new castle on the site of the former seigniorial manor. After the death of the cardinal in 1510, his nephew and successor Georges II of Amboise continued his work. In 1555, the powerful Constable Anne de Montmorency acquired the lordship and the castle. Above a portal in one-point flanked by two towers, its coat of arms and the motto of Montmorency, Aplanos, remains visible. More than a century later, Henri de Lévis, 3rd Duke of Ventadour, became the new owner.

In the middle of the nineteenth century, the building is threatened with ruin. It is bought on November 8, 1867 by Count Philippe Spiridion Vitali, Prince of Sant'Eusebio   The big square donjon and the chapel are built in 1888. The castle was registered historic monument by decree of December 28, 1984.

You look at all houses
Castle Vigny in France
Castle Vigny in France

De Nederlandse vlag The Britisch flag
© Copyright Elisabeth 2004 - 2020 / Last update: Mar 29 2020